Monday, November 30, 2009

Shyaavi Vadi (Alu/Taro Vadi)

Shyaavi Vadi reminds me of my childhood. My grandmother used to make vadis at least once a week since those were my favorite. I have tried the ones from the store (both canned and frozen), but I have realized they contain more besan than the leaves! But I got the taro bulbs and now I get fresh leaves from my backyard!


Ingredients:

8 taro leaves
1 1/2 cups besan (chickpea flour)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chili powder
a pinch of hing
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp gud (jaggery)
Vaggarane
1 small lemon size tamarind soaked in water
water as needed
3 tbsps white til

Method:
  1. Mix hing, besan, cumin seeds, salt, chili powder, turmeric, tamarind water and gud. Make a thick paste. Add water if needed.
  2. Clean the taro leaves and apply besan paste on the back side of the leaf.
  3. Apply besan paste folding as you fold the leaf (refer pictures below).
  4. Repeat for all the leaves.

  1. Steam the leaves for 15 minutes either in Idli cooker or pressure cooker.
  2. Once they are done, cut them into desired size.
  3. Make vaggarane and add til. Saute for 30 seconds and add taro leaf vadi.
  4. Saute on low flame till crisp while stirring occasionally.
  5. Serve hot with Phulka or as a snack or appetizer.

No comments: