Shyaavi Vadi reminds me of my childhood. My grandmother used to make vadis at least once a week since those were my favorite. I have tried the ones from the store (both canned and frozen), but I have realized they contain more besan than the leaves! But I got the taro bulbs and now I get fresh leaves from my backyard!
8 taro leaves
1 1/2 cups besan (chickpea flour)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chili powder
a pinch of hing
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp gud (jaggery)
1 small lemon size tamarind soaked in water
water as needed
3 tbsps white til
- Mix hing, besan, cumin seeds, salt, chili powder, turmeric, tamarind water and gud. Make a thick paste. Add water if needed.
- Clean the taro leaves and apply besan paste on the back side of the leaf.
- Apply besan paste folding as you fold the leaf (refer pictures below).
- Repeat for all the leaves.
- Serve hot with Phulka or as a snack or appetizer.