Phulkas are very healthy since they are made of very little oil and whole wheat flour. I would eat hot phulkas with vegetable any time. I generally prepare phulkas for dinner since they are very light to digest and can be served hot from tawa.
4 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour for dusting
1 1/2 cups of water
1 tsp oil
- Mix whole wheat flour and water (add little water if the dough feels very hard). Make soft dough. Add oil and knead. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Knead well. Make fist sized small balls. Dust the balls with whole wheat flour and roll them evenly with rolling pin on a flat surface.
- Bake on hot tawa (skillet) on medium high flame for 30 seconds and flip it. Bake the other side for another 30 seconds.
- Put the phulka on the high flame for 5 seconds or till it puffs (but make sure the other side does not burn).
- Serve hot with butter and vegetable.